Red Wine and Reflections for the Day

Opened a bottle of red wine yesterday to have with my food. And there was still quite a bit left over in the bottle so I am sipping some right now. Apparently, Robert Parker gave this vintage of wine 90 points. And that is perhaps the only reason why I bought the bottle of wine.

Today was quite a wretched day. I was suffering from some kind of flu but still went to office nonetheless. And time just seemed to whiz past while I was at work. Before I knew it, it was time to go back home. And I wasn't even sure what I had accomplished the entire day.

Flipped through the papers to catch up on election news and other trivia. Logged on to facebook to check on the latest status of all my friends and adding the random comment or "like" to the 1001 statuses.

Life is almost blissful and simple. And reading up on the latest new about the person who commented about heartlanders in Holland Village suddenly made me realise that I am very much one of those heartlanders. I live in a HDB flat, take the MRT to work, eat at hawker centres, and wear my flip flops to Holland Village. Drats, I have slowly transformed into a heartlander without knowing it. Of course, I don't speak vulgarities. But I guess I am one of those persons the higher rungs of society do not want to associate with. Thanks for the wake up call whoever you are. Just the other day, I drove up to get my car valet park and the guy manning the valet stall looked at me increduously and asked whether I was looking for the public carpark which was just ahead. Classic!!!!! My car small means cannot valet park issit??? It reminds me that there is still much to strive for in my life, career and personal growth (i.e. anger management and not comparing with others). Good thing I was in a hurry and did not give him a good dressing down (which I would not have done given how timid I really am).

Reminds me that I have not written about personal finance for some time which I probably should. But right now, personal finance matters seem so distant from my mind. I mean, I earn so much and spend so much. Is anyone really interested in that when Japan has suffered a terrible earthquake and is now facing like radioactive problems? I over heard a guy speaking to his Japanese colleague the other day how Japan should explore other forms of energy. My mind was going: Give your Jap friend a break! With people dying out there, it is just too easy for us to analyse the situation from afar and say what Japan should or should not be doing. That being said, I am definitely against Indonesia building a nuclear plant anywhere near us. If they want a nuclear plant, build it in Antartica please. If Japan is having problems dealing with this situation, everyone should re-think their nuclear strategy. Especially if you are situated so close to a fault line. But who cares? Noone cares about what I think.

I have also realised how stupid I am. It seems that everyone around me are all so clever. Actually, I used to think that I was above average in intelligence and looks. Then slowly over the years, I realised that everyone thinks the same way. Most people think that they are above average. Problem is: If everyone is above average, who is average and who is below average?

I have concluded that I am actually a below average Singaporean with a below average intelligence and below average looks living with a below average salary. But who cares? What is important is being happy. And I do not mind being below average. Okay, at least not for the salary part



6 comments:

  1. Good on ya to realise 一山还有一山高。。 and live your life the way you want it.

    I guess that's why a lot of people who have made it are rather humble as they realized thru their journey to the top that their peak may be someone's base camp.

    Though... Financial matters still need to be dealt with no matter how you feel :) Don't leave it till too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi WJ,

    Thanks for the advice. Another thing that I have learnt is that happiness or sadness is relative. It comes about from comparing with others. A lot of our unhappiness actually comes about because we compare ourselves with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First pillar of wealth comes from your job and the second pillar may actually come from your financial or money skills. Every other day, work on strengthening it and I am telling you you will not spending time on the second pillar after 15-20 years down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Words not needed)

    I nodding my head, hand tapping my heart, smile like banana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow SMOL,

    Very chim. Don't understand your coded message.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    It really doesn't matter what others think.
    What you think will affect your well being.
    Why?

    Because
    "No one reacts to things as they are, but to one's own mental images; Keep me aware that it is not what happens to me in life that matters, but rather how I react to what happens."
    Amen.
    (A prayer by a great Christian)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Unlock Exclusive Deals and Savings: Join Amazon Prime Today!

Amazon is celebrating Prime members with a multitude of deals during Prime Day. The event will offer more deals than ever before, with new d...