Getting Lost in Books and Work

Apologies for the super long "blackout" in terms of blogging. I have been too consumed with reading that I did not get a chance to sit down and write anything for sometime.

I have been reading Homer's Iliad - a book that I never thought I would or could read. But surprisingly, the translation that I am reading seems fairly simple and apart from Googling here and there for the various terms/names that I wasn't familiar with, I managed to finish the book in roughly 1.5 weeks. I don't declare to understand everything that Homer is saying but I do appreciate the story and its account of events about the Trojan War. It makes me realise the number of deviations that the movie Troy has from the actual book!

Work has also been busy and it does not help that I have had little free time to read. So all my free time that I had was spent reading. Somehow, reading seems to be a great way to relax after a stressful day at work.

I have been contemplating lately about what it means to have an education and be educated. This thoughts and reflection led me to read a book titled "How to Read a Book". Though not entirely convinced by the list of Great Books that was suggested by the author, I still decided that life is too short to leave my reading list by chance/whim/fancy. I thus decided to at least read some of the more well known classics and books that have been recognised as Great Books. Homer's Iliad is one of these great books. Now that I have read it finish, I hope to read through the next book on my list soon.


3 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel.

    When I finished reading Dream of the Red Chamber (both english and chinese versions), I finally felt a little closer to my chinese roots.

    Having said that, I am more a comics and "low-brow" novels reader. But once in a while, I will read a "classic" to mix things up a bit.

    Doing my best to cut down TV watching....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi FF,

    I think life is too short to follow a list of reading materials. You should let the books find you instead of the other way round. I always go to the library to see which books I'm lucky enough to find that we're suitable for each other, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LP,

    Precisely because life is too short, so we should not leave our reading to chance encounters =)

    If I am only able to live till 60 and each year, I only manage to read 6 books, it means I will only be able to read less than 200 books for the rest of my life. So I think I better choose wisely.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Unlock Exclusive Deals and Savings: Join Amazon Prime Today!

Amazon is celebrating Prime members with a multitude of deals during Prime Day. The event will offer more deals than ever before, with new d...