For info, Tokio Marine is one of the few companies that maintains its bonus rate for its whole life policies pretty consistently over the years. In fact, the report states that they are the ONLY life insurer in Singapore to have honoured all their bonus rates for the last 66 years!
This is probably testament to their sound investing policy for their participating fund. Even though they acknowledged the volatile investment climate of 2013, they are still maintaining the par fund bonus even though the returns came in lower than expectations.
Some interesting stats from their par fund:
Market Value (measured by total assets in $million)
- 2011: $2,142
- 2012: $2,677
- 2013: $3,073
Asset Mix of Fund for 2013
- Equity : 37%
- Fixed Income: 52%
- Cash: 7%
- Property: 3%
- Others: 1%
Breakdown of Fixed Income S$1,589million
- Singapore Government Securities = S$288million (18%)
- Quasi-Govt/Investment Grade Bonds = S$857 million (54%)
- Other Bonds = S$444 million (28%)
- Tokio Marine Fund - Far East Equity Portfolio
- TMA Umbrella Fund - TMAI Asian Equity Fund
- Keppel Corp Ltd
- Singapore Press Holdings (SPH)
- Singapore Technologies Engineering
Disclaimer: I am not a Tokio Marine insurance agent and am not making any recommendations whatsoever about Tokio Marine and its insurance or investment products.